Create your own fluorescent worms while understanding polymer chemistry and cross-linking.
- Understand and demonstrate polymer chemistry and cross-linking htorugh a synyhesis reaction
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Cross cutting concepts: patterns
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Learn engineering practices: analyzing and interpreting data
Allow students to learn about polymers and cross-linking using this fun and colorful activity. Students add a solution of sodium alginate to three calcium chloride solutions, each containing a different fluorescent dye. After a few minutes the liquid sodium alginate solution forms into gel-like polymer 'worms'. Upon completion of the activity, the worms may be placed under a black light and the students will observe their worms glow red, blue, and green.
Caution: WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including D&C Red no. 19, which are known to the state of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov